Bradford BID Manager
Lead the business community in this great Yorkshire city
Responsible to: Bradford BID Board of Directors.
Reporting to: Chair of the BID Board.
Responsible for: Bradford BID staff team, consultants and contractors.
Duration: Fixed term, from 1st December 2018 until 30th November 2023 (Probationary period of six months). Possible extension beyond this point, subject to a successful renewal ballot.
Hours of work: 37 hours per week, with regular flexible working required to include evening, weekend and occasional bank holidays.
Holiday entitlement: 25 days per year, plus public holidays.
Salary: £45,000-£50,000 per annum, depending on experience, with eligibility for a contributory pension following the probationary period.
Location: Bradford city centre and other locations required to deliver the BID Business Plan.
Deadline for Applications: 5pm, 7th November 2018
A Business Improvement District is being set up in Bradford city centre, with the aim of providing the power and funding to take action to make significant, targeted and sustained improvements to the City Centre. The BID is business-led and brings together a wide range of operators, from multiple retailers and independent shops to pubs, hotels and restaurants. The BID also involves partner organisations from the public sector. The role will focus on delivering projects in the following four main project areas of :
To apply for this post, please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline for applications, which is 5pm on 7th November 2018. Interviews will take place on 20th November 2018 and all applicants should be available on this date. If you have any queries about this post, please email email@example.com.
Further information about the BID is available from www.bradfordbid.co.uk.
JOB PURPOSE AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- To act as the face and voice of BID businesses, setting the highest standards in engaging with key stakeholders on their behalf and lobbying, where needed, to achieve the best possible trading conditions for levy-payers. The post holder will work closely with the Operating Board to communicate strategy and BID delivery progress clearly to stakeholders and partners.
- To lead the BID team to deliver effectively on Business Plan promises. This will include setting high standards for delivery and ensuring clear communications within the staff team, between the staff and the Directors and with levy payers and other stakeholders. The post holder will also be aware of when to seek professional advice on a range of business management issues.
- To run the BID Company to ensure that projects are delivered on time and to budget, including preparing annual action plans and budgets and negotiating contracts. The post holder will keep the BID Board fully informed on progress and on any risks to delivery of BID projects, financial risks or risks to the reputation of the BID.
- To be responsible for leading the renewal ballot campaign, including developing a new business plan for the next five-year period, which will entail engaging with stakeholders to ensure that the plan meets their needs and then gaining voter support prior to the ballot phase.
Governance & Administration
- To develop all policies and procedures, in agreement with the BID Board, to ensure the effective delivery of required systems including, but not limited to, finance, legal, employment, procurement, data protection, health & safety and equality.
- To lead on BID member engagement and be responsible for effective and transparent governance and administration of the BID Company.
- To implement the strategic direction of Bradford BID working with and being accountable to the Board of Directors in achieving the Company aims and objectives.
- To review and research ideas and issues affecting the city centre, or the BID and its businesses, and report opportunities or threats to the BID Board to enable it to develop long-terms strategies for future BID terms or to develop response campaigns within the current BID term.
- To liaise with both levy-payers and stakeholders to understand their issues, seek their views and identify positive opportunities for the City and the BID.
- To ensure the effective delivery of all projects as set out in the BID Business Plan and as agreed by the BID Board.
- To oversee all arrangements with Bradford City Council regarding the BID, including the BID operating and baseline agreements.
- To oversee contracts and agreements with suppliers for services provided to the BID and to liaise with the Council and other bodies as appropriate.
- To develop and deliver an effective marketing and communications strategy to drive additional footfall into Bradford city centre.
- To communicate with BID members, partners, external agencies and key stakeholders to ensure their ongoing support for the BID.
- To foster a strong collective voice for BID members by putting effective systems in place for communication with them.
- To position Bradford BID at the heart of the national Place Management network.
Business & Finance
- To design and implement appropriate levels of performance measurement against the BID Business Plan.
- To manage an annual budget of approximately £550,000, ensuring it is appropriately spent.
- To support the BID Board in the production and submission of all appropriate company reports, accounts and returns.
- To develop plans to generate additional funding from relevant sources, which will enable the BID to deliver more than promised in the Business Plan. Such funding may derive from voluntary contributions, grant funding, commercial activity or joint working with other delivery partners.
- To ensure that accurate and timely records of all financial transactions are maintained to meet all legal responsibilities and enable the production of monthly and annual accounts, in conjunction with the company accountants. Monthly management accounts will be required by the Board, clearly showing progress on project delivery against budget and highlighting any areas of concern or opportunity, especially any concerns raised by the accountants.
- To be responsible for ensuring that statutory payments, such as pension contributions, are made on time. The post holder needs to be aware of potential financial risks and develop plans to mitigate them, as well as ensuring that the BID levy is collected in a robust manner.
- To ensure that all annual year-end accounting processes are concluded in a timely and accurate manner, liaising with and providing the relevant information to the company accountants. The post holder will also ensure that payroll and pension contributions are managed effectively.
- To act as the lead contact for the BID with external parties and to develop strong relationships with senior representatives of BID member organisations.
- To form strong and productive partnerships with external agencies and key stakeholders.
- To effectively build, lead and manage a staff team to deliver the aims & objectives of the BID.
- To oversee all staff management processes and procedures to ensure that staff are provided with appropriate levels of support, direction, motivation and leadership.
- To ensure that all BID staff are well managed at all times, by providing leadership and motivation, clearly setting out the strategy and direction of the BID and outlining how projects are to be delivered and managed. This will include briefing the staff as a whole and individually, setting targets and timescales and monitoring & evaluating progress through the appraisal process.
- To ensure that the HR function is operated in accordance with relevant legislation, keeping the necessary documentation in relation to appointments, leave, pay and pensions. The BID Manager will respond promptly to all staff queries, taking specialist advice where necessary.
- To act as a champion for the BID Company and the BID members.
- To undertake any other tasks commensurate with the role.
- Normal working days are Monday to Friday, although the post holder will be expected to work regular evenings, weekends and public holidays to meet the requirements of the BID.
Essential Experience and Knowledge
- At least three years of strategic leadership and management experience.
- Significant and successful experience of working with businesses within a city centre environment, preferably within the context of a BID, City Centre Partnership, retail business or similar.
- A proven track record of successful project management and delivery.
- Experience of developing marketing strategies, preferably involving destination marketing.
- A demonstrable record of successful event management.
- Experience of working to a board of directors or similar.
- A proven track record of leading and managing staff, overseeing contractors and suppliers and working with consultants.
- Experience of building successful partnerships with different people and organisations.
- An excellent awareness of the current issues facing town and city centres.
- Extensive experience in financial and budgetary management.
- Experience of company administration.
Desirable Experience and Knowledge
- Detailed knowledge of the legislation covering BIDs.
- Experience of working in a BID environment.
- Passionate about Bradford, understands and knows the City and local businesses.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong personal skills and a passionate approach to delivery and results.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, although priority will be given to experience.
- Excellent communication, influencing, negotiating and networking skills.
- The ability to build consensus, work with stakeholders and develop partnerships.
- Strong commercial awareness.
- The ability to generate income and raise funding.
- Very strong leadership skills.
- Competence in the use of a range of business IT applications and social media.
- Openness to new ways of working and the willingness to embrace them.
- The ability to work flexibly to respond to the needs of multiple complex projects.
- The resilience and tenacity required to drive significant change.
- The ability to solve problems creatively.
- A very innovative and positive approach.
- The ability to deliver agreed plans to very high standards.
More information on Bradford BID can be found here.