Association of Town and City Management
Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
Job Purpose: The CEO works in partnership with the Board of Directors and is responsible for setting the strategic vision of the ATCM to ensure its success. The Board delegates day to day management of the ATCM to the CEO and they have the authority to carry out these responsibilities in accordance with the direction and policies established by the Board and the Advisory Council.
Responsible to: ATCM Board with the Chair taking day to day management responsibility.
Supervision: The CEO will manage all members of the ATCM team.
Location: Flexible – There is no central office so candidates will be required to make their own arrangements
Hours: Full time (37.5 hours per week), Monday to Friday, 9am to 5.30pm, occasional weekend and evening work will be required.
Salary: Salary Negotiable- depending on experience.
Investing in the place management of towns and cities across the UK and is undoubtedly one of the most important economic and social challenges of our time. The ATCM is committed to ensuring that the people leading the way in shaping this new urban landscape have the tools, information and resources required to enable our collective places to reach their full potential.
ATCM is a respected voice for town and city management at both a European and wider global level. We are a not-for-profit organisation with members that come from the public, private and third sectors. They include key stakeholders and thought leaders who develop and implement shared visions, strategies and action plans for town and city centres throughout the UK and Ireland.
Our network thrives on a large, diverse membership, fostering knowledge, innovation and political influence for all those dedicated to supporting towns and cities. With 480 members, we are the largest network dedicated to supporting town and city management schemes across the UK and Ireland. It gives us unrivalled opportunities for sharing best practice and influencing public policy.
Whilst the CEO will manage the business their focus will be forward looking with responsibility for strategic engagement, national policy influence, development of strategic public/private partnerships, standards and accreditation, income generation, business development and delivery of the four key principles of the business plan: Knowledge Exchange, Representation, Standards and Added Value. The CEO will also support professionalisation of place management.
Job responsibilities and accountabilities
- Lead ATCM and be a high profile credible figurehead across all sectors of our stakeholder community and media
- Delegate project delivery to the ATCM team to deliver the four key principles of the Business Plan
- Work with the Board to foster effective teamwork between the CEO and the Board of Directors and between the CEO and ATCM staff
- Represent the ATCM at external stakeholder events to enhance the aims of the ATCM and enhance the profile of the ATCM
- Work with the Board to lead the development of the business plan
Human Resources Planning and Management
- Working with any nominated suppliers and the Finance and Governance Advisory Group oversee the implementation of the human resources policies procedures and practices and develop appropriate job descriptions for all ATCM staff
- Oversee a positive, healthy and safe working environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Lead a performance management process for all staff that includes regular monitoring of their performance against set objectives with quarterly and annual reviews being completed.
- Be responsible for identifying training and development needs of the team and yourself and develop appropriate training and development plans for the team and yourself as relevant to their and your personal development.
- With the Chair of the Board ensure the Board’s focus is on long range strategic issues that will ensure the ATCM continues to meet the needs of its members
- Ensure a full governance review is undertaken to ensure that the diverse nature of ATCM membership is reflected at Board and Advisory Council level.
- Take a pro-active role in identifying potential new Board members so there is a ready available supply of competent professionals to replace Board members who step down.
- Develop a risk register and report to the Board on a regular basis any issues that place the organisation at financial or operational risk and develop mitigation plans for these
- Lead the consultation process with members that will result in the development of innovative new ideas that will inform the development of the business plan beyond 2020
- Develop a set of KPI’s that will demonstrate to members the value that ATCM has delivered for them
- Anticipate changes in income streams that may affect the ATCM income and develop ideas and alternative funding streams to mitigate these changes
- Support the Finance Manager and ensure the financial systems of the ATCM are managed in an appropriate manner and the tax affairs of the business are well managed
- Develop strategic projects that may be outside of the business plan proposal but will contribute towards the four key principles and produce member benefit
The CEO will be expected to form positive working relationships with any organisation who can assist the ATCM achieve its organisational aims including
- Local Authorities
- Press and Media
- Politicians and Policy Makers
- Commercial partners
- Other organisations supporting practitioner members in place management
- Property owners and agents
- Degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant subject
Essential skills and experience
- Previous CEO or Executive Director experience of a membership organisation
- A good working knowledge of the factors that affect the economic vibrancy of a Town or City Centre, this could be from a shopping centre, large retailer, other BID, Tourism, large hotel or property development background
- Experience of working in a public/private partnership environment where many stakeholders need to be consulted on an ongoing basis
- Experience of influencing policy makers at a national and international level and be able to demonstrate they have a clear understanding the differences in culture, mindset, rules and regulations in the various countries and regions in which ATCM operates
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to delegate responsibility and empower their team to manage their own work
- Strong PR and presentation skills including public speaking
- Strategic vision with the ability to really develop new ideas and ways of working for the ATCM that support practitioner members
- Numerate, with good financial planning skills and the attention to detail
- Ability to manage, motivate, lead and develop a small team and act with the highest degree of integrity at all times when representing ATCM
- IT literate
- Knowledge of project management
Desirable skills and experience
- MBA in a relevant topic
- Knowledge and experience of supplier/contract management
- Adaptability – This role requires the ability to handle detailed information, balance multiple tasks and respond quickly to business situations and be able to work within a changing environment.
- A Team Player – Work cooperatively with others to set goals, resolve problems and make decisions that enhance the effectiveness of the business.
- Ethically focused – As the leader of ATCM the CEO needs to demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour at all times
- Lead – Positively influence others, demonstrate good listening skills, humility and the ability to accept diversity in our society
- Decision making- The CEO needs to support the business and their staff by quickly assessing situations as to their importance, risks and urgency and lead the business by making clear and timely decisions in the best interests of the organization.
CV’s with a covering letter indicating your suitability for the role and where you match the key requirements within the Job Description should be sent to the Chair of ATCM at firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date for applications is Tuesday 3rd April 2018. Interviews will take place in London on Wednesday 18th April 2018.